Bookmark and Share
  Read through my blog below by simply scrolling down the entries, or check out the essays below. I've chosen ones that I particularly enjoy--maybe you will too.

Sunday, September 1, 2013

Day 14, Sunday: In Which I Reveal My Not-So-Revolutionary Food Management System

Breakfast: two hardboiled eggs. BO-ring.
Lunch: Fantastic salad at the Parkview Diner: greens, marinated red peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, pine nuts, mozzerella, artichokes, onion, cabbage, chicken gyro.
Snack: the remaining half cup of milkshake.
Dinner: eggplant rollatini with cashew ricotta--amazeballs!

Regarding dinner: The cashew ricotta sounds gross, right? I substituted cashew ricotta for my usual mozzerella in this dish because I am trying to eat less cheese on this round of the Detox. I wasn't crazy about it, but Chris thought it was pretty good. More about this topic, and the unfortunate sweet potato pancakes, tomorrow.

Regarding lunch: I didn't notice the sun-dried tomatoes when I ordered the salad. I probably would have left them off if I had, because dried anything is a huge source of sugar. For example, the dried cranberries that we all love to put on salads, etc. are CHOCK full of sugar. You have to hunt for them. I shop at Trader Joe's a lot and their dried stuff is full of sugar.

I shop at Trader Joe's for economic reasons. I really don't like the store--the produce, though organic, is meh, and there's a very limited selection of organic meats. It has ended up being the least of all evils, so that's where I shop. In the summer, I prefer to shop at our local farmer's markets, but that's expensive too. I probably spend about $140-$180 a week on groceries at TJs. That's a lot for a two-person household. If I were shopping at Whole Foods, I would probably spend $225. What drives it up? Nuts. Meat. High-quality oils. I am happy to say that we generally eat everything I bring home, for one reason: WE DO MEAL PLANNING. (Well, one additional reason--we overeat!)

My sister and I agree that meal planning is the great untaught skill. Do they teach it in Home Ec? I don't know, I never took Home Ec and I don't even know if they still offer it in schools. My parents were of the opinion that you could learn what they were teaching in Home Ec at home. And indeed I did learn how to attach a button, mend a sock, cook dinner, wash dishes, clean a toilet, do laundry, hang a picture, and take care of plants and animals in my parents' house. God bless my parents! Our house had plenty of chaos but I am so grateful that I was taught how to do those fundamental tasks.

What I didn't learn was meal planning, even though I'm almost positive my parents were doing it. Why? Because I DO remember that we went to the grocery store about once a week for a week's worth of groceries, and we always had a hot, multi-component dinner at night. Putting out hot dinner for seven consecutive nights on one trip to the grocery store means that somebody thought ahead. Maybe you're a meal planning pro and have been doing it your whole life; I didn't figure out this fantastic key to managing your diet, and indeed your life as an adult, until I was probably 33. Before then, I would shop at whatever grocery store happened to be close. I'd go anywhere from two to seven times in a week, and only get enough food for one or two meals. We ate out A LOT, which is bad for your waistline and your pocketbook. There was never anything to eat in the house. What food we did have would often rot in the fridge, because I knew that I should be buying lots of vegetables at the grocery store but I never thought ahead about what I'd like to do with them.

Now I manage my food like this: I do all my shopping on Monday, generally. Before I go to the grocery store, Hubby and I sit down and write out the week's meals together. We consider what we want for breakfasts, snacks, and dinners. (Lunches are always a little laissez-faire around my house--we tend to have leftovers or snackish things--it's the weak spot in my system.) Then we put all the components on a list. We go and get it. Then we cook it up and eat it! Simple, right? Should be, but it took me a long time to get it down. It's really the only thing that makes this sugar detox possible, for me or for hubby.

Today I continued to feel kind of shitty. Is it candida die-off? Is it the aftereffect of the meat sweats? Regardless, one foot in front of the other.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]